RE/MAX 440  
Mary Southern



Mary Southern
4092 Skippack Pike, P.O. Box 880 | Skippack, PA 19474
Phone: 610-207-2110 | Office Phone: 610-584-1160 | Fax: 484-991-1837
Cell: 610-207-2110 | email: mary@marysouthern.com

< Back to Mary's Blog

Eliminating Electrical Fire Hazards at Home

May 14, 2015 12:39 am

While electricity plays a major role in our daily lives, we often take its power and the conveniences it provides - along with its potential for fire-related hazards - for granted. According to National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) statistics, electrical fires resulted in $1.48 billion in property damage in a five-year period. To mitigate risks for electrical fire, protect your home and loved ones with these safety tips.

• Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician.

• Only plug one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) into a receptacle outlet at a time.

• Arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) are a kind of circuit breaker that shuts off electricity when a dangerous condition occurs. Consider having them installed in your home by a qualified electrician.

• Use ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to reduce the risk of shock. GFCIs shut off an electrical circuit when it becomes a shock hazard. They should be installed inside the home in bathrooms, kitchens, garages and basements. All outdoor receptacles should be GFCI-protected.

• Test AFCIs and GFCIs once a month to make sure they’re working properly.

• Check electrical cords to make sure they’re not running across doorways or under carpets.

• Extension cords are intended for temporary use. Have a qualified electrician add more receptacle outlets so you don’t have to use extension cords continuously.

• Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture. A sticker will indicate the maximum wattage light bulb to use.

Source: NFPA

Published with permission from RISMedia.

Add a comment

FacebookLinkedinYoutubepinterest